For 25 years from 1983 to 2008 "Defender" was widely acknowledged as the primary journal of record for informed, topical and apolitical public debate on Australian strategic security, defence and wider national security issues. Publication of the the journal is currently suspended as we transition our hard-copy publishing program to on-line versions. We continue to welcome the submission of articles and reviews by Australian and foreign contributors.
- Each 48-page (or more) issue of the printed journal included topical articles, informed commentary, authorative book reviews and review essays, and spirited exchanges in letters to the editor, from a wide range of Australian and foreign contributors.
- The journal also included Major Furphy, a column featuring tongue-in-cheek observations on life in the Department of Defence at Russell Hill. This column will continue separately on line.
- The journal's editor remains Dr Max Tapping. The editorial board comprises Ian Bostock, Colonel Patrick Gallagher (Retd), Professor Jeffery Grey, Neil James, Dr Paul Monk and Dr Hugh Smith.
- Articles undergo (anonymously) an academic-style peer-review process to assess their currency, relevance, intellectual integrity and general standard for publication.
- Electronic copies of articles and reviews should be sent to defender, together with the author's email and daytime and after-hours telephone contacts.
- Material posted to the journal should be addressed to: Defender, PO Box 320, Erindale Centre, ACT, 2903, Australia.
- The ADA's terms and conditions for the supply of content can be found here.
The letters pages in "Defender" are an important national forum for informed public debate on strategic policy, strategic security, defence and wider national security issues. They feature a stimulating and often spirited exchange of views on contemporary and historical topics.
Reflections about life in the Department of Defence at Russell Hill, reputedly extracted from musings recorded in the personal diary of the ever-observant personal staff officer to the Vice Chief of the Defence Force.
This index provides access to electronic copies of the journal and to individual editorials, commentary, letters-to-the-editor and articles published from 2003 until 2008. The Major Furphy column, book reviews and obituaries can be accessed directly through their separate indexes.
This index cross-references book reviews by title, author, reviewer and the issue of the journal in which the review was published.
These obituaries note the particular contribution to Australia's strategic security, defence and national security generally by ADA members and supporters.
This guidance is designed to assist you in writing an article for our national journal, "Defender", or an item for our electronic bulletin, "Defence Brief".
This guidance is designed to assist you in writing a book review or review essay for our national journal "Defender".
This guidance is designed to assist you in researching, booking and preparing cover-spot or page advertising in "Defender", the national journal of the Australia Defence Association.
This guidance is designed to assist you in researching, booking and preparing insert (leaflet) advertising in "Defender", the national journal of the Australia Defence Association.